Friday, October 21, 2011

British Embassy Suspends Service in Kuwait due to Terror Threat

I'm telling's only a matter of time before terror attacks hit Kuwait- not IF, but WHEN. So far, Kuwait has been amazing with foiling plans, raiding cells, & preventing attacks from occurring. My prayers will remain with Kuwait. 

I read another article that stated the US Embassy was resuming normal business operations.

The British Embassy in Kuwait has temporarily suspended its services because of a terror threat, the Foreign Office has said.
It advised British organisations and businesses to review their security measures, although it said the threat was targeted at the embassy itself.
Threats against other UK interests in Kuwait could not be ruled out, it said.
The Foreign Office said services were suspended until after the weekend.
A spokeswoman said all non-essential staff had gone home.
The statement issued by the embassy said: "There is a general threat from terrorism in Kuwait. Terrorists continue to issue statements threatening to carry out attacks in the Gulf region."
"These include references to attacks on Western including European interests... residential compounds, military, oil, transport and aviation interests," it added.
The embassy is also advising British nationals to exercise caution before sailing in Kuwaiti waters, following what it termed "maritime restrictions" issued by Kuwait last month.
Prince of Wales is due to visit the country in two weeks' time to mark the 50th anniversary of its independence.
When asked whether the visit would still take place, a Clarence House spokeswoman said: "We are keeping security under constant review as we would with any visit and we are taking advice from the Foreign Office."
About 20,000 British nationals live and work in Kuwait.
And according to Arab Times, they add:

Kuwait hosts Camp Arifjan, a vast US logistics base in the desert south of the capital that serves as a staging post for US forces being deployed in neighbouring Iraq.

Kuwait said in April an Iranian spy cell uncovered last year had monitored the US military presence and possessed explosives to attack “strategic” facilities.

A source at Kuwait’s foreign ministry source said he did not know the precise nature of the security threat against Britain, but did not expect the measures to last for long.

“They (the embassy) will resume operations on Sunday,” the source told Reuters.

No comments:

Post a Comment